Nursing Assistant I, Float Pool, Nights, High Point Medical Center
Company: Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist
Location: High Point
Posted on: January 8, 2022
Nursing Assistant I
Float Pool, High Point Medical Center
Full Time, Nights 7pm-7am, every 3rd weekend rotation
Provides assistance to the nursing staff by rendering specific
treatments in addition to basic nursing care to assigned patients.
Delivers direct and indirect care following physician and nursing
orders to achieve the highest standards of age/developmental
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent required
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, And/or REGISTRATION
- Completion of a North Carolina State Approved Nurse Aide I
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (BCLS) required.
Skills And Abilities
- Successful completion of General Hospital Orientation and
demonstration of competency in the Nursing Assistant functions as
determined by TCU staff and Registered Nurse staff.
- Ability to hear and speak, and comprehend English language
- Ability to understand verbal/written communication skills
- Basic computer skills required.
Job Specific Duties
- Patient Observation: Observes and reports the patient's general
appearance/behavior/response to basic care, procedures, and
treatments. Observes characteristics of patient's urine, stool, and
drainage and reports abnormalities/changes. Observes patient
receiving intravenous therapy and reports to nurse immediately any
disruptions/disconnections/swelling and patient complaints of
pain/discomfort at site. Observes and reports skin abnormalities
and provides appropriate therapeutic measures. Observes patient
care equipment for proper functioning and reports any malfunctions
to the Licensed Nurse. Reports to the licensed nurse any abnormal
vital signs and changes in patient behavior.
- Patient Information & Documentation: Obtains and documents
patient temperature, pulse, respirations, heart rate, blood
pressure, and pulse oximetry as required on admission and
throughout hospitalization. Obtains and documents patient
heights/weights as required on admission and throughout
hospitalization. Measures and documents patient's fluid
intake/output accurately. Checks/records patient's diet/activity
level/observations/ treatments/nursing care plan on worksheet and
gathers all needed equipment in organizing/beginning patient care.
Collects urine/stool/sputum specimens as directed by the Licensed
- Patient Care: Maintains patient care environment in a safe and
organized manner with necessities within reach. Sets priorities in
patient care/delegated treatments and consults nurse when changes
occur or assistance is needed. Assists patient with elimination
activities (bedpan, urinal, bedside commode, bathroom,
bladder/bowel training) as condition indicates/directed by the
nurse. Provides hygiene for the incontinent patient. Performs
hygienic/comfort measures (complete/partial/tub/sitz bath,
occupied/unoccupied bed, back rub, mouth/hair/ skin/nail care,
denture care, changing gown, HS care). Performs and documents
therapeutic measures (enemas, perineal/catheter care, unsterile
heat/cold application, elastic/ therapeutic stockings,
glucometers). Checks, turns, and repositions the
bedfast/incontinent patient every two hours. Provides 1:1
monitoring of patients as directed.
- Patient Dietary Assistance: Prepares patient for meals and
assists or feeds patient and documents percentage eaten on Patient
Care Profile. Maintains fresh water and distributes
juices/nourishments/ dietary supplies as directed/requested by
patient. Forces or restricts fluids as ordered/directed.
- Patient Transfer/Discharge: Assists in the
admission/transfer/discharge process and safe management of
personal belongings. Assists patient in ambulation, transfer to
chair/stretcher/ commode and uses lifts as needed.
- Patient Environment: Maintains unit and patient care
environment in a clean and neat manner by emptying linen hampers,
trash receptacles and cleaning the refrigerator as directed by the
Licensed Nurse. Changes linens for occupied/unoccupied beds and
maintains clean, dry, wrinkle-free linens according to patient
needs. Obtains and/or returns supplies (i.e., blood, medications,
etc.) and equipment as requested.
- Call Lights: Answers call lights.
- Teamwork& Support: Assists in the standard
pre-operative/post-operative care procedures as directed by the
Licensed Nurse. Performs surgical/orthopedic skin preps and
surgical scrubs as needed. Performs post-mortem care as needed.
Demonstrates initiative in seeking out patient care/unit
maintenance tasks/assisting co-workers. Completes unit assignments
on patient assignment sheet as indicated by Charge Nurse/Unit
Coordinator. Reports to oncoming Nursing Assistant regarding work
completed and work to be done.
- Customer Focus: Ensures excellent customer service to patients
including excellent communication, treating them in a caring
manner, being timely regarding treatment and being professional in
their care. Promotes department to physicians, hospital and
community in a positive manner at all times
- Meetings & Updates: Promotes a positive work environment with
co-workers and other customers. Attends/participates in a minimum
of 75% of unit staff meetings. Attends a minimum of 2 hours of
continuing education programs (100% completion of mandatory
programs).Reviews memos/communication book/bulletin boards/ minutes
of staff meetings to maintain current knowledge of hospital
- Professionalism: Upholds a professional working relationship at
all times and adheres to department rules. Practices teamwork and
adheres to Standards of Behavior.
- Other Duties: Performs other duties as assigned by
Physical And Behavioral Requirements
- Lifting 40 pounds from floor to waist,
- Lifting 15 pounds from waist to crown,
- Lifting or carrying 55 pounds horizontally for 2 feet,
- Pushing 80 pounds,
- Pulling 100 pounds,
- Front carrying 25 pounds a distance of 150 feet,
- Gripping 50 pounds with each hand,
- Forward bending in standing for 5 minutes,
- Rotation in standing,
- Repetitive squatting,
- Standing for 5 minutes, and
- Walking frequently.
- Visual acuity required for accurately reading and documenting
patient charts and observing patients.
- Sense of smell required for safety issues.
- Sense of touch is required to evaluate patients vital
- Ability to speak and hear is required to effectively
communicate with patients, family members, physicians, and
- Manual finger dexterity for writing, equipment operation
(maneuvering wheelchairs/beds), and positioning and moving
- Ability to effectively manage a high stress environment
resulting from patient volume.
To apply for this position, please click on the 'Apply Now' button
on this page. You must complete the application process and then
submit your application by clicking on the 'Submit' button located
at the bottom of the page titled 'Submit Online Application'. You
will receive the following message once you hit the submit button:
'You have successfully submitted your job application'.
Computers are available for applying within the lobby of the Human
Resources Department located at 1920 West First Street, (on the
corner of Miller and First Street) Winston-Salem, North Carolina
27104. You may also call our office for assistance at (336)
716-6464. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00am-5:00pm.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable
accommodation to participate in the application process, please
contact our Supervisor of Office Services by phone (336) 716-3367
or email at email@example.com.
It is the policy of Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center to
administer all educational and employment activities without
discrimination because of race, sex, age, religion, national
origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or veteran
status (except where sex is a bona fide occupational qualification
or a statutory requirement) in accordance with all local, state,
national laws, executive orders, regulations, and guidelines.by
Keywords: Atrium Health Wake Forest Baptist, High Point , Nursing Assistant I, Float Pool, Nights, High Point Medical Center, Healthcare , High Point, North Carolina
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!